Embody Deep Qualities with Tree Meditation
Meditation can change who you are* -- more on that in a sec...
You perceive the world through your perceptions, interpretations, and filters which have been carefully developed based on your experiences. Some of these filters can be quite limiting (eg. "I'm not good enough to be a parent"), while others can be extremely empowering (eg. "I am a loving, strong, and flexible parent"). Both of those examples are are as true as you're willing to believe that their true.
And both kinds of filters (limiting and empowering) will invite their core energy into your reality (limiting energy or empowering energy).
Back to meditation...
When you meditate, you hold a space for your mind to relax, center, and get in touch with your higher self. And in this state, the most powerful changes can occur. Knowing this, you can utilize meditation to bring those qualities into your life that you most want to embody.
And when I approached meditation in this way, I came up with my morning Tree Meditation.
You see, there are many qualities that I want to cultivate in my being: Love, Strength, Flexibility, Growth, Acceptance, Openness, and Curiosity. So I started by simply integrating phrases like "I am Love" into my morning meditation. But I wanted to go deeper. I wanted a way to connect a metaphor with those qualities so I can really soak up the message. And when I did, a tree came to mind which created a deeply empowering and rich meditation for me.
So without further adieu, I present Tree Meditation:
* * *
Want to do this meditation without having to read along? Download the audio file or click on the audio player below:
* * *
- Sit in a comfortable position. It doesn't matter if it's cross-legged, half-lotus, lotus, or in a chair. Just be comfortable.
- Take 5 long deep breaths through your nose. Feel the cool air enter your nostrils, and the warm air exit.
- In your mind's eye, imagine a big, bright, vibrant, amazing tree.
- On your next inhale, say in your mind "I am Love..."
- On your next exhale, say in your mind "...like the roots of the tree; foundational and nourishing." Picture the roots of your tree winding through the ground.
- Inhale and say "I am Strong...."
- Exhale and say "...like the trunk of the tree; stable and solid." Picture the fierce, cragly, trunk that would take four, five, or six people joined hand in hand to encircle.
- Inhale, "I am Flexible..."
- Exhale, "...like the limbs of a tree; yielding but not breaking." Picture the limbs gently rocking in a warm summer breeze.
- Inhale, "I am Accepting..."
- Exhale, "...like the soil around the roots." Picture the minerals and water being absorbed by the roots of the tree: exchanging the space of the soil for the space of the roots.
- Inhale, "I am Openness..."
- Exhale, "...like the air and sky around the tree." Picture the air, clouds, and sky spread out and around the tree.
- Inhale, "I am Curious..."
- Exhale, "...like the Sun looking down on the tree." Picture sunlight shining down on the tree which the leaves are drinking up.
- Inhale, "I am Growth..."
- Exhale, "...like the tree." Picture all the elements combined and watch the tree grow and evolve into its most beautiful self.
- Stay with that image as long as you like. When you're ready, open your eyes and feel your renewed sense of love, strength, flexibility, acceptance, openness, curiosity, and growth.
These are the qualities that I want to expand, and the tree is the metaphor that I used. However, you can use this exact same technique to grow any qualities you want. Simply combine your intentions with an image that you resonate with and viola! You're on the road to empowered and conscious change.
* To learn more about the science behind the effects of meditation and mindfulness, I recommend reading Mindsight, by Dr. Daniel Siegel